Integrating more movement into your day can help you reap big health benefits. Grace DeSimone, national director of group fitness for Plus One Health Management, offers the following tips:
- Set a timer or an electronic calendar to remind you to get up every hour and move around.
- Whenever you talk on the phone or have a teleconference, walk around your office or home.
- Instead of e-mailing or phoning co-workers, walk over to their desks.
- Sit on an exercise ball instead of a chair, so you can activate your core and leg muscles and maintain better posture.
- Consider buying a standing workstation that allows you to adjust the height of the desk for sitting or standing, or invest in a treadmill desk.
“Every little bit of movement counts,” says DeSimone. “Take small steps to achieve big results.”